Regions, Events, Sound Design, Collectibles & Assets...

Another short update as my module progress. As usual the pre-production stage is underway and as such I'm still in the process of adding assets (doodads) throughout the level. As previously I'm aiming to help aid the simple narrative with the use of in game props and their changing style as the player progresses through the level. In contrast to previous updates I've started implementing destroyed assets to push the narrative forward, as my primary goal is to avoid too much repetitiveness through multiple use of similar assets. 

Continuing on from my last update I've refined the long hallway with hints for the player, via placing certain assets down: 


The hallway is easy to navigate at first glance, but as the player progresses parts of the ceiling will begin to fall down causing for avoidance based mechanics. Though my aim for this level/prototype is not to create revolutionary mechanics or level designs but simple to test my ability regarding these design principles whilst learning a new engine - Though constraints have hindered me in wanting to create truly memorable design elements, I don't feel these are achievable with the limited time and engine capabilities without the use of hard coding, compared to something like the Unreal Engine 4, where I could focus solely on game-play. 


Above is a small room further adding to the narrative, the room serves no prior function aside from aesthetics for the player. Some of the assets that are provided by Blizzard within the engine are truly amazing and diverse, allowing me to add/create almost any scene I want.

http://i.imgur.com/g5xajkx.gifv







A feature that most games/levels wouldn't be complete without are collectibles, as such I've started to place them around my level in various ways. Firstly, differentiating between the normal assets and intractable ones, the orange crisis tube serves as one of these collectibles, secondly I will perform sound prompts as seen via the marker to serve as a reminder for the player that something of import is nearby


The area displayed above will start to move the player from the sterile environment that is the laboratory. Though the player can get a general idea of the coming mechanic as a gate is blocking their path, destroying the generator will allow for progression, though another scripted event will likely occur during this phase: Note - Not overpopulating the level with scripted events/enemies will require many plays for testing purposes.

Below is a brief introduction to the scripted/triggered aspects of the level design. By creating regions and sound points I can create events that will trigger within a certain area, radius and so on. As such these regions shown will be for the player to access the gate to progress through, showcasing the region for the gate, the generators and the Ultralisk enemy on the far left that will interact with the player upon certain actions being performed. 


Additional thoughts I've been having are in regards to the scope of the level, mainly the size and mechanics I want to implement. Though the engine is extremely powerful, without hard coding knowledge it will take time to script the events that I want to implement, simple enough to learn within the time frame after researching more into it. Though the level may be to big and being limited to a small 8 tile set for textures I can't break the laboratory theme. I am leaning towards halving the level size and creating a follow on level with an outdoor section to continue the game-play and implement more design elements, both level and game play focused.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Small dev update and ramblings. Ideals finalized, gameplay imminent!

Embed The Narrative! And the mechanics?