Level Progression 2.0

For my update this week I've added another small section of the laboratory in addition to tweaking my previous scenes with various assets (Doodads). Firstly, I will briefly give an overview of the doodad usage through out my level and how it will impact my scenes.




Within the Starcraft 2 engine each doodad has a number of variants, by tapping the "<" or ">" keys I can alternate between all of the available variations for that particular doodad. Using these doodads I can combine them in simple ways to create a larger asset - Though there are more complicated ways of doing this I will research later on in the project (In terms of creating new enemies, structures that are one prefab) Here's an example of a group of doodads - These include a destructible unit (The test tube), a Decal (The white circle/line) The dead scientist and the blood splatter:


By combining these doodads and adjusting the scale/variant I can create a more distinguished feel for the levels throughout the game: Though this will heavily increase the time taken to complete the  level design process. Here's the assets combined:


And here is the rest of the section featuring this newly created doodad combination. Throughout the level I've started create a small narrative, though a lot of the detail will go unnoticed, such as the holographs on the walls showcasing enemies that will be portrayed through the coming stages of the level.


Below is a zoomed out view of the latest additions to the level, Small sections like the swaying cable in the center, the doorways and catwalks on the lower portion of the scene and the liquid lab section at the bottom right. Though most of this detail will largely go unnoticed I feel at adds a more immersive atmosphere for any player the chooses to explore the environment and take time from the game play to look at the environments. 


This is a fully zoomed out overview of the newly added room. This whole section will begin to set the pace for the game scripted events through out the level. The design for this room is to be an open area for the player to shoot enemies, show some narrative with assets and get a feel for a simple version of the scripted event: Primarily a short enemy horde spawn from the next screenshot.


This part of the section is a dead end for the player, but can be explored, this will be the "holding pen" that will be a spawn area for enemies during scripted events and will feature throughout most of the level. This will allow the player to recognize the asset and prepare accordingly for the coming fight:


Here's a zoomed in section of the lab section, again a small narrative is being shown with the assets and keeping in theme with the laboratory section of the level. I feel changing some of the original assets such as the orange screen breaks up the predominately blue scene and draws the focus towards the center of the screen.


Whilst trying to keep in time with my project plan, I feel the ability to utilize the large library of assets provided within this engine will hinder my progression of finalizing the game play. I may have to cut back the large scale of the level and fine tune the smaller areas I have and will be creating for a more polished feel to these environments. Though I will be putting more effort into churning out additional rooms over the next few weeks before christmas break. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Regions, Events, Sound Design, Collectibles & Assets...

Small dev update and ramblings. Ideals finalized, gameplay imminent!

Embed The Narrative! And the mechanics?